Through Our Eyes Gallery
It is an emotional experience to see life through the eyes of the once homeless. NSO Bell Building tenants took to photography earlier this year to tell their stories as part of the NSO Bell-Oakland University PhotoVoice Research Project. Their photos makeup the Through Our Eyes exhibit that IS NOW OPEN, through Dec. 13, at the Swords into Plowshares Gallery, 33 E. Adams St. in Detroit.
PhotoVoice is a research methodology that uses photography to empower people to show their journeys and struggles.
BECOME AN NSO ELF!
Make a difference in someone’s life this holiday season by becoming an NSO Holiday Elf. NSO has opportunities for individuals, families, companies, departments/teams and community organizations to share their holiday spirit. The NSO Holiday Elf Progam offers you a wide variety of ways to give to your neighbors at the level and in the way you are most comfortable. Together, we will be helping thousands of our community's most vulnerable individuals and families have a holiday to remember.
NSO Holiday Elf Program Options
- NSO Bell Building Giving Tree -Make the holiday special for one of the 155 formerly homeless individuals now living in the NSO Bell Building. The holidays for many residents will be warm, but very lonely. Your gift will remind them that they are not alone. NSO Elves will receive a resident’s name and their wish list with items totaling no more than $25.
- NSO Adopt-a-Family - Times are tough for many of the families served by many NSO programs. NSO Elves can help by adopting a family for the holiday. Elves will receive a Family Wish List with the names, ages, sizes and wishes from each family member.
- NSO Youth - Gift Cards for Young Leaders
- NSO Youth Programs - NSO Youth Initiatives Project (YIP) and YouthLink programs serve young men and women from the city's most vulnerable neighborhoods. NSO provides them with leadership and community activism skills along with education, career awareness, work readiness, life skills, tutoring and mentoring. Participants come from families with few resources. Your $20 gift card to Target, Meijer, Foot Locker, etc., will be a welcome holiday gift for our future leaders.
- NSO Homeless Recovery Services Winter Warmth Wish List - Hundreds of homeless individuals with nowhere else to go will spend their nights sitting in the cold hard chairs at the NSO Tumaini Center. You can warm their hands, feet and hearts by donating items on the Winter Warmth Wish List.
- NSO Older Adult Services Wish List - Help NSO make the holiday's special for the older adults with mental illness we serve in Wayne and Oakland. Many of these seniors have nobody else to count on but the NSO staff who visit them and ensure they are being properly cared for. Your donation of items on our NSO Older Adult Services Wish List.
- NSO Homeless to Home - A Place to Call Home Housewarming Parties - Help NSO provide housing for the homeless by hosting an A Place to Call Home Housewarming Party. Individuals, families and organizations are being sought to collect new household goods for formerly homeless individuals. These items will be used to outfit apartments for men and woman moving from the streets into the NSO Bell Building and NSO's other supportive housing locations across the city.
You also can download a copy of the registration form here and return it to us by fax or mail.
SUPPORT LIFE CHOICES ON NOEL NIGHT
Life Choices consumers will be exhibiting and selling original art pieces during Noel Night on Saturday, December 6 from 5-8 p.m. at the Cathedral Church of St. Paul, 4800 Woodward (entrance is in the back of church, off of Warren). Thank you to The ARC Detroit for reserving NSO a table.
For more information, contact Janis Kaufman, 313-875-7601
We hope to see you there!
Host a Housewarming Party for NSO!
The success of the A Place to Call Home Housewarming Parties held for the NSO Bell Building in 2011, 2012, and 2013, and the many request from supporters, have inspired us to make housewarming parties an ongoing opportunity to change a life.
A Place to Call Home Housewarming Party is an opportunity for an individual, family, business, congregation, club, school or community group to invite friends, relatives, co-workers and group members to donate quality, new, household items needed to make an apartment a home for formerly homeless adults in NSO's Supportive Housing Program.
We hope you will join us in creating A Place to Call Home for our most vulnerable neighbors, helping them to begin a new life and overcome the challenges that kept them on the streets. To view the party host instruction packet, which includes instructions, a timeline, invitations and your party-specific gift registry at Target, click here.
There are more than 20,000 homeless men and women living on the streets of Detroit, alone. NSO Homeless Recovery Services' goal is to end homelessness for them, not just manage their homelessness. The program provides supportive housing for formerly homeless adults in apartments and homes across Wayne County including the NSO Bell Building. Using the "Housing First" model, NSO moves chronically homeless individuals off the streets and into a safe environment where they receive life-restoring supportive care, helping them to live productive lives.
A Place to Call Home…
The Place to Call Home campaign is an important part of the $10 million fundraising effort to support the transformation of the former Michigan Bell Telephone Building into an innovative permanent, supportive housing program that will help end homelessness in Detroit. A Place to Call Home is focused specifically on the renovation of each of the 155 apartments.
Your $5,000 pledge will provide a home!
Individuals, families, businesses, congregations, school and community groups can pledge to sponsor one of the 155 apartments in the NSO Bell Building. Your pledge of $5,000 will help NSO fully renovate an apartment and help provide vital support services.
A Place to Call Home sponsors will become a member of Friends of NSO Bell and will receive special recognition, including a plaque placed by the door of the sponsored apartment and in the building’s public lobby. A Place to Call Home sponsors will also receive a commemorative tile and an invitation to a special ribbon-cutting event to officially welcome residents to their new homes.
Learn More Today!
Contact Denise Figurski at 313-961-4890 x 1069 or email@example.com.